DVDisaster: Archival with data loss protection

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Axis

DVDisaster: Archival with data loss protection

#1 Post by Axis »

Hi to all.

About next TestDisk/PhotoRec's version: It would be possible to add a very useful software (at least for me is the best program in his category) like DVDisaster (open source, GNU GPL v3)? Its Win version is something I used to use several times for my Bd-R/Bd-Rs DL media.

----------------------------------
It's a tool for creating error correction data ("ecc data") for optical media such as CD, DVD and BD discs.
The dvdisaster solution: Archival with data loss protection. dvdisaster complements optical media with error correction data in a way that they are fully recoverable even after some read errors have developed. This enables you to rescue the complete data to a new medium.
Error correction data, in short “ecc data”, is either added to the medium or kept in separate error correction files. dvdisaster works at the image level so that the recovery does not depend on the file system of the medium. The maximum error correction capacity is user-selectable.

----------------------------------

Unfortunately the Windows and Mac OS are no longer supported: the author wants to focus only on FreeBSD, GNU/Linux and NetBSD versions. 0.79.5 is the latest version (August 2015) and It needs to be compiled.

http://dvdisaster.net/en/index.html

Many thanks.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: DVDisaster: Archival with data loss protection

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Creating and maintaining software that can be compiled on several platforms is hard.
It's far easier to work with Linux than with Windows.
I don't plan to compile and distribute someone else project when the project author with just cause doesn't want this burden. I personally don't have the time.
dvdisaster is available with most/all Linux distribution (ie. Fedora). If you really want to use the latest version of this software, use Linux.