.prproj files now gzip

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
juebi

.prproj files now gzip

#1 Post by juebi »

Hello,

Adobe has changed Premiere Pro files ("*.prproj") from txt/xml files to gzip in 2013. Photorec recovers old pproj files as tx? without problem, but has issues with newer pproj files if recovered as "tx?".

Is there a way to treat prproj files as gzip?

Let me know if you need samples,

Thank you -

kind regards

Juergen

juebi

Re: .prproj files now gzip

#2 Post by juebi »

Hello, everybody,

I eventually solved the issue posted above so here's the solution in case someone else has it later:

Adobe Premiere files above version CS6.5 can be recovered with photorec gz file family. They will be found as "*.xml.gz" but indeed they are ".prproj" files, just change the extension.

Some files may be damaged. A good procedure to filter any damaged file is to extract the archives in a fresh folder. Any file that cannot be extracted is not prproj, or is damaged.

You may find quite a lot of project files. To filter the project you are looking for, run a text content search with your original project name over all extracted files. Some files may still contain a lot of garbage that you can easily identify and erase with a text editor. Maybe fix xml structure. Re-gzip, open in Premiere. Worked for me!

Merci Monsieur Grenier!

Juebi