I have trouble understanding the following steps of recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Slava

I have trouble understanding the following steps of recovery

#1 Post by Slava »

Hello everyone.

Two weeks ago I started this topic - disk-management-saying-disk-not-initialized-t5898.html

Several days ago I finally managed to find another software which could at least show me the content of my corrupted data hdd. But I cannot proceed with it - everytime I try to assign the drive letter for my hdd, the software says all changes were applied successfully, but my hdd won't show up in Windows Explorer, and the software shows no drive letter.

Thus, I returned to Testdisk and checked it for partitions to restore. This is what I got:

http://i.imgur.com/dvhnUYH.jpg

As you can see, the only partition which shows my files correctly is number 2 (Also, if I highlight partition 3 with "Up" and "Down" arrows, it says NTFS found using backup sector, I don't think this is what I need).

But if I choose either Partition 2 or 3 and press Enter, it shows that both of them have size in sectors only of 16000 which is extremely small number.

What do I do wrong? Do I really need to restore this partition via Testdisk? I'm asking because data was never deleted from hdd, it has always been present on it. Am i right the only thing I need to correct is the boot sector?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: I have trouble understanding the following steps of reco

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Set the partition 2 as *(bootable). On next screen, choose Write, confirm, BackupBS, confirm, Quit, restart your computer.
Run "cmd" (right click run as administrator), "chkdsk /f d:" (replace d: by the correct drive letter)

Slava

#3 Post by Slava »

cgrenier wrote:Set the partition 2 as *(bootable). On next screen, choose Write, confirm, BackupBS, confirm, Quit, restart your computer.
Run "cmd" (right click run as administrator), "chkdsk /f d:" (replace d: by the correct drive letter)
Alas, no success. I do as follows: Set the partition 2 as *(bootable). On next screen, choose Write, confirm, , but then I see no further steps described. After restart My Computer doesn't show me hdd and Disk Management says again "Disk not initialized".

Cmd does not see my hdd (as I told, it has no drive letter and I cannot assign one).

Slava

#4 Post by Slava »

I have strong belief my hdd has some initial sectors which are damaged physically, because surface test showed some bad sectors.