Recovered photos too small

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
FlaGuy

Recovered photos too small

#1 Post by FlaGuy »

Recently recovered photos from memory card, some of the downloaded photos have dimensions of approximately 3000x2000 which was their original size, however, 2/3 of downloaded photos are 160x120. These undersized photos were originated at different dates. How do I correct this issue, at 160x120 the photos are useless? Thanks for assistance

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovered photos too small

#2 Post by cgrenier »

All t*.jpg are thumbnail pictures.
If a lot of 2000x3000 jpg are missing, it's probably due to the original file fragmentation. You may have the habit to take a few pictures, delete a few, take new one... New files are fragmented because they never fit exactly in the free space created when you delete files. To try to recover more fullsize pictures, you can enable the brute force mode in the Options menu of PhotoRec. Note that it's very time consuming.

FlaGuy

Re: Recovered photos too small

#3 Post by FlaGuy »

Thanks for reply, I tried the another download using brute force, but results the same. Apparently, I worded my issue wrong, when I said picture were too small was referring the resolution. I can enlarge pictures but due to resolution picture becomes fuzzy. It's odd that the low resolution pictures were random.
Again, thanks for reply glad I was able to recover some pictures