Copy paste, Overwrite/replace existing file

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
supersaint71

Copy paste, Overwrite/replace existing file

#1 Post by supersaint71 »

Hi All,

I have been looking through the forum and been making google searches and I can't seem to find the solution to this problem.

I took some important pictures in April my wife took them off the SD card and put them into a folder in windows.

Photographs:
-Dsc_001.jpg 04/23/2016
-Dsc_002.jpg 04/23/2016

We then took some more photos and for some reason the camera named them the same file name. We dropped the photos into the photographs folder and windows 10 did a copy replace of the existing files. Now the folder is like so:

Photographs:
-Dsc_001.jpg 06/03/2016
-Dsc_002.jpg 06/03/2016

I tried using testdisk and photorec on the folder and the sd card with no success i have found a lot of other deleted images but not the ones i want. I tried using windows backup recover but both sets of images were copied onto the pc after the last image.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I really want this pictures back!!

Thank you
sd

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Copy paste, Overwrite/replace existing file

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Unfortunately it's not possible to recover overwritten files.

supersaint71

Re: Copy paste, Overwrite/replace existing file

#3 Post by supersaint71 »

I thought this may have been the case. Any suggestions on why the SD card doesn't have the images as they were deleted, I have found a lot of other deleted images on the card but the images that I want aren't part of it.
The way I look at it there are three ways the images can be removed from the SD card. Cut, delete through Windows and delete on the camera. I don't know what happens when they are cut or when they are deleted on the camera but if they are deleted through Windows would they have been sent to the recycle bin?

Thanks
Sd