Write access for this media is not available

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pintree3

Write access for this media is not available

#1 Post by pintree3 »

Hi

Using Windows 7 64bit OS and giving TestDisk administrator privileges wont let me go anywhere and getting "Write access for this media is not available." Tried other drives as well and getting the same message. Does this software work with Windows 7 or not? So what now?

Thanks

Fiona

Re: Write access for this media is not available

#2 Post by Fiona »

It works definitely using win7.
You should use the testdisk 32-bit-version.
TestDisk usually writes a partition table.
In some cases users used partition table type None.
In this case, there is no partition table to write.

If you experience difficulties, I'd need more infos.

Fiona

pintree3

#3 Post by pintree3 »

First of all Fiona thanks for taking the time to help a total stranger. I did download the 32bit one and got the same results. You write that you need that you need more info but I am not sure as to what info you require/are referring to. So let me tell you my steps in the hope that this will help.
-1- R-click on testdisk_win.exe an 'Open with Administrator Privileges"
-2- Choose Create a log file (also tried 'Don't record anything.') - Enter
-3- Select a media -Enter
-4- Clicked 'Proceed. --> Message which pops up is as described, "Write access for this media is not available...."
Now, let me tell you why I need this software. I accidentally clicked 'Shift Delete' , therefore bypassing the trash bin on an entire folder (with subfolders and files). I tried various recover/undelete software such as 'Recuva' and none of the files I deleted are there.

Am I doing something wrong or what? Oh wait. I think I got it. It is probably my Comodo Firewall preventing this.
Let me try to disable it and see. Bingo. I am right, it works.
OK, now what? Not sure where to go from here. I do not have problems with my HD partition or anything all i want to do is get back my shift-deleted files. What do I do?
Tried 'photorec_win.exe' instead and it seems to be a good job BUT is there anyway of controlling what it recovers? The way it;s going on it is recovering every single file since I first purchased this computer--which means there won't be enough space left--not only that but it is recovering multiple versions of the same file (I noticed 37 of a jpg file, and then another 21 of another jpg file and then.... etc. Is there anyway of controlling what it does recover?
And, if I may how do I know exactly which drive to choose where my deleted files are? The drive name given in 'photorec' is not the name I have it as. Thanks again

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

I accidentally clicked 'Shift Delete' , therefore bypassing the trash bin on an entire folder (with subfolders and files). I tried various recover/undelete software such as 'Recuva' and none of the files I deleted are there.
Please don't write anything to your affected disk anymore!
You could try TestDisk and its Undelete Feature.
The Advantage is, it keeps folder and file namens.
You'll find it in TestDisk at the menu Advanced.
A the bottom of the screen you'll find all the commands to copy data.
If you check the two dots you'll get a directory up.
To go into a folder, just check it and use your right arrow key on your keyboard.

Fiona