Recovering from local to external HDD... but can't find it

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Vyruz

Recovering from local to external HDD... but can't find it

#1 Post by Vyruz »

Hey there,

I'm trying to recover lost partitions from a laptop HDD to an external HDD connected via USB, but when I need to select a destination I can not find the external HDD. I see all the drive letters (A through Z), but when I select one, I see a list of files (mostly .sys files) and a map called tools containing photorec.exe. I see this for every drive I select (A through Z). Peculiar this is that the drive letter doesn't get appended to the "directory" at the top of the menu.

For clarification, I'm using Hiren's Boot CD to launch PhotoRec. And it does see the external HDD when I have to select a drive from which to recover.

I hope someone can help me further.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering from local to external HDD... but can't find

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Hiren's Boot CD uses Dos/Freedos when running TestDisk. It means you can only access FAT partition, not exFAT or NTFS. Use another LiveCD if you need access to NTFS filesystem.

tytus

Re: Recovering from local to external HDD... but can't find it

#3 Post by tytus »

I have the same problem. The problem is that I can't get out of the virtual disk "r" created by photorec or hirens disk. The pendrive is formated to FAT and it is seen at selecting drives to recover from. I type left arrow and the most general drive is "\" and it is still the viertual drive with photorec files.

How am I supposed to use photorec with hirens? how am I supposed to select destination?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering from local to external HDD... but can't find it

#4 Post by cgrenier »

On Hirens, PhotoRec can only write to FAT32 partition. If you don't have a FAT32, use another LiveCD/LiveDVD...