Problem with external drive

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bigb0bb

Problem with external drive

#1 Post by bigb0bb »

I am new to this so bear with me. My 1tb transcend HDD isn't being read by my computer. With testdisk, I tried the repair MFT and it says MFT and MFT mirror are bad and failed to repair them. I tried the rebuild BS and got these results in the picture below. Can someone guide me on what I can possibly do next? Is my data lost? I'm not entirely sure what these results mean.
Attachments
Rebuild BS
Rebuild BS
1.PNG (9.7 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Problem with external drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

What is the result if you run "cmd" (right click run as administrator) and "chkdsk /f e:" ?
If it doesn't fix the problem, run PhotoRec, choose [Whole] instead of [Free] after selecting the partition.

bigb0bb

Re: Problem with external drive

#3 Post by bigb0bb »

Below are my results for chkdsk f/ e:

I see two photorec applications, one called photorec_win and another called qphotorec_win. I ran photorec_win and recovered all the files, however many pictures were cut off and the videos were very choppy and pixelated. I started qphotorec and it seems like that one will take a very long time. Is this the only thing I can do?

Also, I thought the harddrive type was NTFS but when I check the disk management screen, it shows up as RAW and says there is 100% free space on the drive, which is not true since photorec recovered files
Attachments
chkdsk results.PNG
chkdsk results.PNG (14.64 KiB) Viewed 2146 times