new users - 3TB Disk partition recovery and hanging bios issue

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mnb106

new users - 3TB Disk partition recovery and hanging bios issue

#1 Post by mnb106 »

unfortunatly i deleted a partition on a second disk whilst reinstall windows 7. so i downloaded this and followed the guide at the everything seemed to be ok, found my files, and write the table back to the disk and reseted. Now the disk doesn't get past bois checks and hangs the system if connected. it seems the final number produced was to big and going back i should have used in the transfer the files off the disk first but i didn't.

now i can't mount the disk, boot windows with the disk attached. do you have any ideas of how to at least make the disk usable again or better yet get the files of it. will buy a usb caddy and see if i can fool it by hotswapping it. is there a way to manually edit the partiton table and reduce the values or at least give 3 warnings and a possible outcome iin the next revison?

Any help
M

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: new users - 3TB Disk partition recovery and hanging bios issue

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Once the disk is plugged via USB, try to rewrite the partition table using testdisk 7.1-WIP. Can you tell me if you still have the problem after that ?