Disk /dev/sdd or Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive3 or Drive W: ???

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
spyderrp7

Disk /dev/sdd or Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive3 or Drive W: ???

#1 Post by spyderrp7 »

Hello!
I am new here, using for the first time this amazing program called TestDisk.
I am asked by the program to select a media.
But I see the same disk (the 4GB disk) shown here 3 times.
So I am curious, what is the difference between the options

Disk /dev/sdd
Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive3
Drive W:

Please check the screenshot
Attachments
Testdisk1.jpg
Testdisk1.jpg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 2690 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Disk /dev/sdd or Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive3 or Drive W: ???

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use TestDisk 7.1-WIP, you will get the disk description.
W: is a single partition. It's better to use /dev/sdd or PhysicalDrive3 but I don't know why it's listed twice.

spyderrp7

#3 Post by spyderrp7 »

Hello Christophie,
I decided to donate to you a small amount of money if you can help me with salvaging my data.
So I will try to explain everything in detail, and with your guidance I hope you will be able to help me out!

I have a USB 2 media center with an internal hard drive of 3TB. I use that media center with my television (with HDMI) to watch movies. This media center is quite old, that's why it doesn't have USB 3 connection, and the maximum capacity of drive that it can work with is 3TB.

I am using this media center for more than 4 years with no problems. The only problem is that the power supply cable can very easily move out while it is working, so with no power it turns off. Ok You wonder why the power cable moves. Well the media center, is on top of some clothes, that I have on top of a chair (in my bedroom, below the TV) , so you can realize that this is not very stable!! So to fix the filesystem errors I connect the media center with a computer (with USB 2) just to do a CHKDSK, and most of the times there are some things that needed to be fixing.

About a week ago, I connected the media center to my computer and it couldn't find the partition. Windows thought it was RAW and it needed to be formatted, which I didn't of course. But when I restarted the computer, just before Windows boot, it tried to repair the drive. Black background, white fonts.... it was almost like it found the partition and it was trying to repair it for.... 9 hours!! And then Windows booted but it couldn't fix the drive. So far I tried connecting the drive with Windows 10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit, but I didn't have any luck on getting back the NTFS partition.

So I decided to repair the drive with some more special programs. I didn't want to deep scan the drive and retrieve all files, because I know that the error is just in the Master File Table. Please don't think I am an expert to all this, that is why I need your help. So I was googling for such a program and all I could find was your program and another program called M3 Data Recovery. Well after more than 50hours scanning with M3 Data Recovery, it couldn't fix the partition and it adviced me to scan for files.

So then I decided to give TestDisk a try. With your help I believe we can fix it, because it is a very simple configuration.
This is a 3TB drive, it has mostly movies inside, formatted with NTFS, with a Cluster size of 4kbytes, althouth I am not 100% sure for the cluster size. Also I am not 100% sure if it is an MBR drive or a GPT drive, but I strongly believe it is GPT, because that is what Testdisk believes it is, and I wouldn't formatted my drive either to MBR since it is a 3TB drive.

Now something which might be important, might be irrelevant. As I said before this drive used to be inside my media center, that has a USB 2 connection. And because it would be very slow to scan a 3TB drive with USB 2, that is why I took the drive out of the media center and hooked it directly to the e-sata connection of my Dell laptop, so I can gain e-sata speeds. I use an e-sata hdd external enclosure for that, and a short e-sata cable which is about 50cm. This way I can check the drive much faster than USB2.

I have downloaded Testdisk 7.1-WIP, and I am now analysing the disk.
Just before the Quick Search , I got the following structure.
What can you see from this screenshot?
Attachments
Testdisk2.jpg
Testdisk2.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

spyderrp7

#4 Post by spyderrp7 »

So after 3 days, scan is still at 67%!!!
Is this normal?? Why is it soooo slow???? Could it be a mechanical failure?? I don't hear any weird noise (click of death).
Also on HD Sentinel, my hard drive shows up as 100% perfect.
Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.

So at 67% here is what I have on the display:
Attachments
Testdisk3.jpg
Testdisk3.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 2661 times