Failed NAS raid0 disks

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
SteveT

Failed NAS raid0 disks

#1 Post by SteveT »

Hi
I have 3 2TB hard drives that were setup to Raid 0 on a Netgear Readynas Nv+ v2, the system has complete failed, when I look at the drives in Ubuntu "disks utility" one drive has 3 partitions, the other 2 just says "2.0 TB Unknown"
TestDisk looks like the tool to use, but I need some guidance.
I dont need to recover any data so returning the HD's to a usable condition is all I need.

I am running TestDisk on Ubuntu 16.04LTS
The HD is being read via a USB docking station
HD's are WD Green 2TB

Any help would be appreciated.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Failed NAS raid0 disks

#2 Post by cgrenier »

A raid0 failed when one or more disk members failed (ie. bad sector).
You need to find the damaged disk, replace it by a new one and reinitialize your NAS (check your NAS documentation for a howto)

SteveT

Re: Failed NAS raid0 disks

#3 Post by SteveT »

cgrenier wrote:A raid0 failed when one or more disk members failed (ie. bad sector).
You need to find the damaged disk, replace it by a new one and reinitialize your NAS (check your NAS documentation for a howto)
Tout d'abord merci pour votre réponse, il est très apprécié; that about my limit in French :)

I have identified the bad drive and fitted a new one, but when I initialize Raid 0 it fails. I believe that the disks have been corrupted as the first time I setup the system after its crash, I used Netgear Raidar ver 6.1 which was not compatible with my old Nas drives; it kept setting up Raid 5 when I set it to Raid 0!

Now using Radar 4.3.8 it looks okay, but after booting for a very long time it checks the disks which are all okay then sets up the array but on rebooting it says no valid volume!

So back to my initial question how can I use "TestDisk" to reconstruct the drives, data recovery is not a issue I just need to rescue the HD's and make them usable again.

Thanks for your help, Steve