lost partition after ssd disk decrypt (symantec pgp) - very bad

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tejula

lost partition after ssd disk decrypt (symantec pgp) - very bad

#1 Post by tejula »

Hi. I think i damaged my disk beyond repair. This is my last action before I wipe the disk that contained my very valuable data. Yes, I know, I should've done a backup.

Situation:
business laptop, windows 7 pro, ssd disk, with disk encryption enforced (Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.2)

i attached another disk to this laptop in secondary bay and wanted to install windows on it (was an empty disk). all went good and windows installed. after windows setup needed reboot it obviously booted to my old disk and it seems that it messed with boot sector of the old disk. after i tried to boot it i got the error of "windows failed to start".

at this point i realized what happened. i removed the new disk. i took the recovery CD of symantec and successfully boot to their utility with which i decrpyted the old disk so it is accessible again (decrpyt took 17 hours). after that i tried to repair the boot by booting with windows 7 setup disc and entered setup --> repair windows installation. it failed.

and this is now where i am.

i tried several tools, but all tools are telling me to abandon all hope. then i found your tool. it checked my disk and i got a lot of errors saying i got overlapping partitions and bunch of other errors. see attached image.

i am lost at this point. i don't see what fu***ed up this disk so bad. was it enrcryption? i just want my files back, if there is any way. i am ready to format it afterwards.
any help will be greatly appreciated and rewarded.

thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: lost partition after ssd disk decrypt (symantec pgp) - very bad

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use TestDisk 7.1-WIP, select the PhysicalDrive containing D:, not D: itself.
Advanced, Boot, RebuildBS, List. If you see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit
If it doesn't work, try PhotoRec.
Good luck