NTFS to RAW and back to NTFS

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
hallidayglenn

NTFS to RAW and back to NTFS

#1 Post by hallidayglenn »

Hi,

Attached is the testdisk log file (zipped), and two collages of screenshots of the deep search results. I took 11 screenshots at various stages of the search. I'd like to ask if someone can guide me through the rest of the procedure in order to make an attempt to recover the original structure of the folder and files as they were before the HDD (data) turned RAW, then back again to NTFS (after I took it out of the pc and installed it in a usb enclosure). None of my computers can see the files on the drive. Now it's back in the original pc, back to NTFS somehow, and I used PhotoRec to recover to files to a separate external drive, but the folder structure is lost. I've got 1 tb of renamed and shuffled files. A real nightmare. I'd sure like to get back the folders and files as they were before the crash. It's a data drive, so no OS on it. Any help on my next move? Thanks .
Attachments
screenshots 7 thru11.jpg
screenshots 7 thru11.jpg (189.87 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
screenshots 1 thru 6.jpg
screenshots 1 thru 6.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
testdisk log file.zip
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: NTFS to RAW and back to NTFS

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advanced, select the partition, Boot, RebuildBS, List.
If you can see your files, choose Wirte, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.
Please post the testdisk.log content if you have problems instead of screenshots.

hallidayglenn

#3 Post by hallidayglenn »

Thanks for replying. After following your recommended steps I am sorry to say I do not see my files after selecting 'list.' Can you advise on a next attempt to retrieve the folder and file structure? I am attaching the zipped log.
Rgds, Glenn

Update Oct 22: Hello again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck in limbo without the hard drive recovery. I'm a teacher, and I don't have access to any of my student files over the past several years. I'm really in a bind. If I can get this hard drive back to how it was, I'll be backing up on a daily basis.
Attachments
testdisk.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

hallidayglenn

#4 Post by hallidayglenn »

Hi, I'm hoping someone may have run into the same, or similar situation, and can provide a suggestion on something to try. Anybody? I'd sure appreciate the help.

hallidayglenn

#5 Post by hallidayglenn »

Hi, isn't there anybody who can help me? Any ideas would be welcome. Rgds, Glenn