Drive containing Windows 7 became raw

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cicada8

Drive containing Windows 7 became raw

#1 Post by cicada8 »

Hi all,
Need help...
1. I hv to kill the power when my laptop froze last wk, it got stuck at DIsk read error upon reboot. So borrowed d installation disk from a friend and got to the System recovery page. Tried startup repair and gave up after 36 hrs!
2. Tried bootrec and eventually do not need d CD to boot up but still stuck in startup repair loop.
3. Cut d long story short, discovered d main drive which contains my wins 7 is in Raw file system. Chkdsk takes forever.
4. My question now is how do I recover d raw sys to ntfs with min data loss since I hv no access to internet from this laptop?

Pls help, I m gg crazy

cicada8

Hd partition lost and main drive remains Raw state

#2 Post by cicada8 »

Hi all,

Managed to use an ext hd to run testdisk in cmd prompt ytd. After following the steps in cgsecurity, my main drive c: which contains wins 7 remains raw and my d: disappeared. Using diskpart, I realised my hd is now only half d size.
What can I do now? I tried to repeat the last few steps with different variations IE bootable to primary n vice versa to no avail.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Drive containing Windows 7 became raw

#3 Post by cgrenier »

I think there are bad sectors. You should clone your disk to a new empty one using gnu ddrescue.
See https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf "Creating a live USB" and "DDRescue: data recovery from damaged disk"

cicada8

Re: Drive containing Windows 7 became raw

#4 Post by cicada8 »

Hi cgrenier,
Thx for d reply.. I managed to find my d: after d 2nd restart.
Is there a dummy guide to solve tis issue as I hv never study programming b4. I can't even copy d files which I found in c: using testdisk, so how do I clone my c: ?
I can only access internet thru my handphone which sadly diskpart could not recognize or else I can run whatever exe file required