Mac HFS Partition Recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
RobOK

Mac HFS Partition Recovery

#1 Post by RobOK »

Hello,

I erased the internal drive due to it having problems that wouldn't repair. Some files that I thought were in Time Machine were not. I have not done anything to the Drive since. The Mac is having intermittent memory issues and crashes, but I have it now running off an OS installed on an external drive.

Can I use Testdrive to restore the whole partition? I went through the menus but wasn't sure what "Write" was going to do in this case. (I looked for similar examples in the FAQ but did not see). WOuld it replace the new partition table with the old one it found (which would be good for me).

I started saving the Image onto a new disk, once I do that, can I use Testdisk to navigate and save files? Is that preferred vs. saving the partition table above?

Thanks for any help or guidance to avert my mistakes.

Thanks,
Rob.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Mac HFS Partition Recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If the partition has been deleted, use TestDisk to recover it, see chapter "Recovering deleted partition using TestDisk" from https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
If the partition has been reformated, use PhotoRec to recover your data, see chapter "Recovering deleted files using PhotoRec"

RobOK

#3 Post by RobOK »

Thank you...

I used the Disk Utility and hit Erase. I think that reformatted, so maybe PhotoRec?

Can PhotoRec run against an image.dd created from Testdisk?

Thanks,
Rob.

RobOK

#4 Post by RobOK »

I'm running PhotoRec but I don't think it is going to help as I am trying to recover Minecraft Save folders, which is not likely a recognized type.

I want to try more with TestDisk, but not sure what is best to try with an Erased drive. I think that is a partition recovery but have not had much success. I do have a saved image.dd now.

Any advice on the best path for partition recovery would be appreciated!!

Rob.

RobOK

#5 Post by RobOK »

Hello,

I am working this issue. Is there a logical next step for a mac disk that was deleted with Disk Utility? Should I try to restore an old partition? There is a bare disk now (the result of the delete command only, no other action).

Thank you,
Rob.