How to Resume recovery process from qphotorec

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
techgeek

How to Resume recovery process from qphotorec

#1 Post by techgeek »

Hi,

I have lost my data in my external USB drive and I am in the middle of recovering the files using qphotorec_win tool, and due to some issues I was forced to quit the recovery process. I thought I should be able to resume the recovery process where it left, but it seems to be starting from beginning again. I have used the GUI tool.

Could someone help me to resume the recovery process where it stopped instead of starting from the scratch. Since last two days I have kept the recovery process without any interruption.

Thanks..

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: How to Resume recovery process from qphotorec

#2 Post by cgrenier »

QPhotoRec can not resume the recovery. This feature is only available in PhotoRec.

techgeek

#3 Post by techgeek »

Hi Grenier,

Thank you for your reply.

ceromus

#4 Post by ceromus »

My issue was when I tried to resume using the command line version after running the windows version was that it couldnt find the disk anymore so this is how I managed to resume my win qphotorec session:
1. Close photorec, rename photorec.ses to photorec2.ses
2. run qphotorec command line version as admin and make your hard drive partition choices blah blah pick a diff restore folder (not sure if that part is required) and begin
3. immediately close the qphotorec command line version once it starts recovering
4. open the new photorec.ses and copy the data from the very start of the file to fileopt and replace that same portion of data in photorec2.ses
5. rename photorec.ses to something else like dosphotorec.ses or something and then rename photorec2.ses to photorec.ses
6. run photorec command line version again as admin and it should work this time around.