Recovery from a Rideye cycling camera

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
rgsteele

Recovery from a Rideye cycling camera

#1 Post by rgsteele »

Hello,

I'm attempting to perform a data recovery operation from a Rideye cycling camera. (This is motivated strictly out of curiosity; I'm not trying to recover evidence from a collision or anything, so there is no urgency to my request.) It records video in 5 minute segments in the .MOV format, with the resulting files being about 600 MB in size. Here is a very short (2 MB) clip I recorded with the camera.

The memory card has been formatted using the camera's built-in format command. I'm attempting to recover the videos that were on the camera before the format took place. I took an image on my Mac like so:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk2 of=rideye.img bs=1m
When I run TestDisk against the image, it shows the files currently on the camera (which are just a few text files for controlling camera settings). When I go into Advanced > Undelete it does not show any files to undelete.

When I run PhotoRec against the image, it creates some .MOV files in the recovery directory, but they are only 24 bytes in size.

I tried uploading my 2 MB test clip at https://www.cgsecurity.org/photorec/ but I got a 413 Request Entity Too Large error.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide, and let me know if you need any further information.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovery from a Rideye cycling camera

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I have uploaded a new 7.1-WIP version. Can you try it ?

rgsteele

Re: Recovery from a Rideye cycling camera

#3 Post by rgsteele »

Hi Christophe! Yes, that is working much better. With this new version, PhotoRec recovered 11 .MOV files which have reasonable file sizes. Of those, six are playable. For the other five, QuickTime Player gives me an error saying they are unplayable, and VLC shows they have a duration of 0:00 and skips over them.

I don't need anything further, but I'm happy to provide more information, file samples, etc. if it's helpful for improving the program.