Hard disk seems too small?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
nishan29

Hard disk seems too small?

#1 Post by nishan29 »

Hi,

This is my first experience with TestDisk. First time encountering problems with a hard drive.

I got this hard drive a few days ago and had problems formatting it on windows. It first gave me this error. This error happened when i hooked it up. The drive itself showed up in my computer but am unable to format it. In my computer manager i was unable to view the drive itself because it would cause my computer to freeze. Also attaching this drive sometimes left my computer having to restart windows explorer interface (i.e start menu, task bar ect)

Origin File System Driver
Verb Bad FRS
Description The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x1000000000023. The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>".

So i tried repairing it, but it ran into an issue through windows being unable to format it / repair it.

From here i sent to TestDisk and tried to repair the drive. it gave me an error of MFT and MFT Mirror Bad. From here i did a deep analysis of the drive and it gave me the attached PNG. Now i dont know where to go from here.

My end goal would be to use this drive in a windows environment.
Attachments
testdisk1.PNG
testdisk1.PNG (59.01 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Hard disk seems too small?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

It's useless to search partitions inside a partition (E:)

Run TestDisk, select the physical drive containing E:, Advanced, select the partition, List.
If you can see your files, copy them on another disk.

If it doesn't work, run PhotoRec, select the disk and next the partition, Search and [Whole] instead of [Free]

As you said your disk can not be formated, it probably contains bad sectors, you should replace this bad disk by a new one.

nishan29

Re: Hard disk seems too small?

#3 Post by nishan29 »

When i went to repair MFT, it gave me a failed to repair error. Where should i go from here?
Attachments
testdisk2.PNG
testdisk2.PNG (87.11 KiB) Viewed 2017 times