Help with testdisk and partition recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
exodusbhz

Help with testdisk and partition recovery

#1 Post by exodusbhz »

Hi there from Brasil friends!

First I'll let you know the facts:

Hardware: Seagate Backup Plus 3TB (with a Barracuda inside, I took it out of the enclosure)

Partitions: at least 2 and I don't remember the size and format. (But I think they 'were' NTFS)

Problem: I was sending some pictures to Google Drive and the HDD starts to failure on reading files.
So I booted the pc (Windows 10) and the partition showed as RAW. So I started to backup the files
of the other partition and after 150GB copied it started to behave as the other partition. Booted again
and now the partitions are shown as unformatted.

Attempts to solve the problem:
- took the HDD out of the enclosure and connected it on SATA bay on my PC. The problem persisted.
- created a Knoppix pendrive, downloaded the last Testdisk version and tried to run it on my HDD. The pictures below show the process:

I didn't tried to write the information. I don't have knowledge on Linux, I made some research and did the above procedures.

I am very worried and afraid of doing something that can get the problem worst. So I am here to ask for some help and enlightenment.

And right now I don't have 3 TB of free space to create an image of the disk :(

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Help with testdisk and partition recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The CRC error means there are bad sectors. You should clone the disk to a new empty disk (3TB or bigger) using ddrescue.
See https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf for details

If you can't wait for a new disk, when testdisk found the partition, use 'p' to list the files and copy the more precious files.

exodusbhz

Re: Help with testdisk and partition recovery

#3 Post by exodusbhz »

Thanks for the answer!!!

I think it will be better to get another HDD for this task indeed. I'll get another one but it will take at least 1 month.

I've got this info of my HDD partitions on Windows 10 (free space / not allocated / not allocated):

cgrenier wrote: 22 Mar 2017, 07:12 If you can't wait for a new disk, when testdisk found the partition, use 'p' to list the files and copy the more precious files.
The 'p' option never shows up :(