Win 10, creators update, lost hdd partitions.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Powerlines2000

Win 10, creators update, lost hdd partitions.

#1 Post by Powerlines2000 »

Hi

I'm hoping to get some advice.

Bit of background:
Win10 laptop, 1tb partitioned drive (100gb windows, 900gb data)

Last week i noticed kernel errors that started exactly same time as creators privicy review was downloaded and I got it to "remind me later"

Sunday -
laptop a little quite slow 8-10min switch on to desktop.
After some searching and finding similar errors online I suspected creators privicy review.
Not finding it in notifications and odd errors in event log I decided to do a chkdsk just to see if any errors on disk.
Chkdsk found 1 and after reboot, speed back to normal and update in notifications bar.
Did review and shut down laptop.

Monday evening -
Switch on laptop.
Booted till screen just before win10 login (normally win logo and spinning dots) but just had black with spinning dots.
Left for 1/2 hour.
Started digging online and various reasons but only one stood out so I power cycled the laptop to get to repair.
Safe mode - wouldn't work, black screen.
Revert - nothing to revert to.
Sys restore - no points.
Repair startup - nothing wrong.
Gave up and decided to reinstall windows from usb know my data was on a separated partition.
Changed bios.
Reinstall process, chose windows partition, halfway through process win told me it couldn't proceed because of a damaged boot record.
Got into cmd.
Diskpart - recognised both partitions
Used bootrec to rebuild boot.
All completed fine.
Went to reinstall now only one 950gb partition.
Rebooted
laptop won't recognise drive in bios but will when I go to cmd from usb boot.
Diskpart - no partitions

Wednesday -
Hooked drive up via USB dock to a second machine, won't recognise in disk managment.
IT department ran and old piece of dos software to try and get the drive readable (4 bad sectors, all at start of drive) .
Now readable in disk managment but comes up as unallocated and I couldn't assign a drive letter.
Tried to run Recuva on it but the drive is not recognised by recurva (for above reasons)
So am trying Testdisk which I started a quick scan at 7pm last night and and 3pm today was at 40%

So question is this a normal speed considering the circumstances?

Is this because of the bad sectors?

It still seems to be progressing and I am happy to leave it but just wanted to check as I have not used Testdisk before.

Cheers

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Win 10, creators update, lost hdd partitions.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

There are bad sectors, so you should to clone the disk to new empty one using ddrescue.
Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapters "DDRescue: data recovery from damaged disk" and "Creating a live USB".
Once it's done, remove the original disk and try to recover your data from the clone.

Powerlines2000

#3 Post by Powerlines2000 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, just so I can get this straight as still a newbie to this level.

Stop the current test disk search.
Make a live usb
Replace the drive into laptop
Boot from the live usb
And use ddrescue to clone the drive (the empty drive having to be connected via usb)
Install the clone in the laptop.
Boot from usb key again.
Then use Testdisk on the clone.

Is this correct?
What if I don't have a spare 1tb drive?
As I am having to buy a new laptop drive anyway if I use that as a clone will I be able to wipe it after and use it as my new drive?

Just fyi current Testdisk run is on 50%

Cheers

Powerlines2000

#4 Post by Powerlines2000 »

Hi

Once I have the clone what is the best way to run Testdisk to recover the partition/data?

Thanks