After the save

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pureBlonde

After the save

#1 Post by pureBlonde »

Thank you for your software :) I am recovering a usb drive now which suddenly went Raw on me, most probably because of recent power surges and failures during a storm while it was in use. It had no partitions found so I resorted to photorec to recover the documents possible, but the drive has not been physically abused or anything, it just was not unmounted right most likely as what caused this issue.

The question: Do I understand right that once I have recovered all I can from this drive, I should be able to reformat and use it again? Or should it hit the trash can and I get a new one?

Thank you for this wonderful work you do for us :)

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: After the save

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If it's an USB disk, it should be possible to a SMART utility to check if there are bad sectors or other problems. If there is no problem, format the disk and you should be able to reuse it.
For an USB key, reformat it with a bad sector check. If there are errors, use another USB key instead. If there are no error, the key "may" be safe to use.