Accidentaly repartitioned an disk

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Riggah

Accidentaly repartitioned an disk

#1 Post by Riggah »

Hi,

As you can tell by the tittle, I have screwed up as many people here on this forum. Hopefully, I can get at least part of my stuff back.

Here's the thing. I installed (as every other time, since I am doing that very often to clients) Xubuntu OS on my SSD. On that SSD I had dualboot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I wanted to remove the Ubuntu, but not the Windows and also to increase the partition for the new Xubuntu and by mistake I approved formatting which comes with increasing the volume.
Anyhow, you're probably aware for the rest.
Now to my question. When I ran TestDisk from a LiveUbuntu flash drive I saw my partition, however when I tried to browse its files it tells me that the file-system might be damaged.

Is there any way that I can still get in there and recover at least partially of it? Since this is the actual Windows partition, I need literally to recover only my desktop.

Ps. If I am missing something such as logs or anything useful that could help you determine my problem or I have placed the thread in the wrong place, please let me know.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Accidentaly repartitioned an disk

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try to list the files from the other partitions.