I deleted files from Trash on Mac

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tylerj

I deleted files from Trash on Mac

#1 Post by tylerj »

I recently deleted some files accidentally, about 1 hour ago. I have spent my time scouring the internet for a solution to this terrible mistake. I have several questions, and if anyone could answer them I would be very thankful.

I have deleted some audio files compiled in a folder, which do include .als files. These are Ableton Live files, Ableton is a digital audio workstation, its like the Adobe Premier of music. Anyways, I wanted to know firstly will I be able to recover these specific types of files using this program. I am very unexperienced with Terminal, or any kind of raw command system program...typical Mac user lol. Anyways, there were wav files also stored in this folder as well. I could honestly even tell you a very close estimate of the file size. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time here, other solutions not only cost money, but seem kind of like a scam from what I'm seeing on my end.

I'm a quick learner, if this is possible I'll find a way, but where should I begin looking. I could narrow the time, the file size, the location of the files and file types. Is there a way to narrow down the search? I ran the program already and am trying to learn how to navigate properly. It seems like it is just endlessly scanning when I go to analyze within the HDD drive. I do have a 250GB drive but. I don't know, I'm very much an amateur with this and I feel like the instructions on the wiki and such are not answering questions like if my directory doesn't behave in the same way when using the program as the step by step does.

Again, very much appreciate some help here!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: I deleted files from Trash on Mac

#2 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec can recover .als files.
You can read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf if you want to know how to use it.
Good luck with your data recovery

tylerj

#3 Post by tylerj »

thanks cgrenier. So i'm on the step where I'm selecting the directory to allocate the recovered files. It says not to do copy to the partition they were originally stored on. but i'm not seeing a directory showing on my list for my external storage device. its a seagate 5tb drive. The items I had were originally stored on my desktop then moved to trash and then accidentally deleted. So I assume I need to get the recoveries sent to my external drive. Or am I wrong?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Yes, you should use another partition, another disk is even better.
Usually external disk are mounted in /Volumes ("11.8 Select where recovered files should be written")

tylerj

#5 Post by tylerj »

hey i've gone on vacation and still had trouble doing this. any possibility we can chat in a discord server and work this out. i'm open to going to a computer technician but figured you might want the opportunity to help and be paid.