Photorec "save to" file, while saving, becomes corrupt/inaccessible

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jkwarren

Photorec "save to" file, while saving, becomes corrupt/inaccessible

#1 Post by jkwarren »

PhotoRec 7.1 has been running on a 4 TB drive for the past 88 hours. Up until 8 hours ago I could go to the drive and folder where the recovered documents and images are being stored and see what has been recovered and open them. It's been working great. However, this morning I went to check the progress and now the file is not accessible and I get the message "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". How did this happen?

PhotoRec continues to run and recover documents yet I can no longer access the file. Interesting enough, it's just the recovery folder that is not accessible. Other folders that were on the drive before the recovery process was started, are still accessible.

I plan to run a chkdsk /f to see if that will correct the problem but if I do that, I will have to start over again after 88 hours of recovery with another 374 hours to go. I don't see a way to stop PhotoRec, run chkdsk, and assuming it's able to correct the problem, start PhotoRec back at the point it was stopped. I could just let it continue to run, but 15 days from now, when PhotoRec has finally completed the recovery process, there is no guarantees chkdsk will work and I'll have lost 20 days.

Any suggestions?

jkwarren

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Photorec "save to" file, while saving, becomes corrupt/inaccessible

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can stop PhotoRec. When you restart it, you will be asked to resume the recovery.