Unmountable boot volume.SSD has gone RAW. TestDisk shows "Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don't match)"

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
apollyon93

Unmountable boot volume.SSD has gone RAW. TestDisk shows "Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don't match)"

#1 Post by apollyon93 »

hello everyone.

my issue isn't so related to TestDisk question,but I hope that I will find the answer via using it.
The thing is that I accidentally turned off my PC while it was trying to fix the consequences of BSOD error.
And now when i try to boot my computer,it shows "Unmountable boot volume" :?
Fortunately,Google is full of this requests,but none of the ways to fix this error works :(
I've tried to solve this problem with the help of command promt,but there is no result. Chkdsk doesn't work,fixboot says "Element not found" or "Access is denied".
Afterwards I've decided to use TestDisk utility to find the defects. When I press Analyse SSD,it shows GPT (in the partition list) and then it goes like
"Warning: Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don't match)
No partition is bootable". The quick search finds only 3 of them(partitions). Image
(Sorry for this shitty pics. That was the only way to upload the information :P)
so here we go with the deep search.
and there is the last shot
one of the partitions has D instead of P. eventually,if I write all this partitons to my disk,EUFI will show me my SSD with Windows 10 Boot Manager until I turn off my PC. And then it disappears :(
Any solution? any help is appreciated.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Unmountable boot volume.SSD has gone RAW. TestDisk shows "Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don't match)"

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try "How to make the system bootable again" from https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf

apollyon93

Re: Unmountable boot volume.SSD has gone RAW. TestDisk shows "Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don't match)"

#3 Post by apollyon93 »

cgrenier wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 09:50 Try "How to make the system bootable again" from https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Greetings!
After a few researches I've found an error that sounds like "Diskpart has encountered an error the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error". I suppose that is the main issue to solve. Any ideas?
Thank you.
(And I'm very sorry for being out of topic)

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

I/0 device error may be due to bad sectors. In this case, you should clone the disk to a new empty one using ddrescue.

apollyon93

#5 Post by apollyon93 »

cgrenier wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 18:29 I/0 device error may be due to bad sectors. In this case, you should clone the disk to a new empty one using ddrescue.
Greetings again!
As a matter of fact there are no bad blocks on my SSD according to scanning :shock:
Is it grave or not?
That is what smart says
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
If you need any information in detail,please contact me.

Thank you for the response.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

If you run TestDisk, Advanced, can you list the files from each partitions ?

apollyon93

#7 Post by apollyon93 »

cgrenier wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 20:53 If you run TestDisk, Advanced, can you list the files from each partitions ?
No,I can't.
But it gives me access to have a function "to list" after writing partitions to disk.

In addition "fdisk -l" shows me 4 partitions instead of 3 or on the contrary.
I've mentioned this defect above in the beginning of the post.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#8 Post by cgrenier »

Windows is reporting EFI GPT partition table but it looks like you are using PC Intel partition table when using testdisk.
Can you try using latest 7.1-WIP ?

apollyon93

#9 Post by apollyon93 »

cgrenier wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 06:56 Windows is reporting EFI GPT partition table but it looks like you are using PC Intel partition table when using testdisk.
Yes,that is my fault that I have been using PC Intel partition instead of EFI partition.
cgrenier wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 06:56 Can you try using latest 7.1-WIP ?
It happens that the problem was an old version of Testdisk and there is a possibility to list only 1 partition.
And none of them are red.
But the exception is a partition found by Quick Search.

Any ideas to recover them?
Thank you for the response.