Can TestDisk help me?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
d55266

Can TestDisk help me?

#1 Post by d55266 »

Hi. I recently lost my partition and am looking for a way to recover it. Here is my situation:

I have 2 hard drives that I sometimes swap in and out using a hotswap port.
- HD1: 3 GB, 1 partition
- HD2: 3 GB, 2 partitions, 1.5 GB each partitions.

I had been using HD1 for a couple week. Yesterday I hot swapped HD2 in, and made a mistake. When Windows (10, x64) asked me if I wanted to fix the hard drive, I said yes. So it did something with the drive, and now I ended up with only 1 partition, size 3GB, with a lot of free space (presumably due to expanding and taking over the space of the 2nd partition). I still have access to all the files on the 1st partition, but obviously not the 2nd partition.

I run TestDisk and it says something about the declared size is too small, 3GB as opposed to 6GB.

What do you think I should do? I'm thinking maybe I could resize the current partition to 1.5GB, then run TestDisk again, hopefully it will detect the 2nd partition. But I don't want to risk doing something that makes the situation even worse.

Appreciate your input.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Can TestDisk help me?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

After Quick Search, try Deeper Search.
You should also read "Recovering deleted partition using TestDisk" from https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf