testdisk raw-to-NTFS attempt, testdisk seems happy with partition but no change seems to be happening Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bigteks

testdisk raw-to-NTFS attempt, testdisk seems happy with partition but no change seems to be happening

#1 Post by bigteks »

While in-use, my main external partition switched from NTFS to raw. I am attempting to use testdisk to repair the partition. I am running the testdisk app "As Administrator"

First I selected my disk and did analyze. There were some errors, see below:
The attachment 2_Unused partitions.PNG is no longer available
The raw partition to repair is below:
The attachment 3_raw partition to repair.PNG is no longer available
The files appear to be OK as I would expect:
2_Unused partitions.PNG
2_Unused partitions.PNG (23.54 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Next I marked the three "real" partitions as "P" (the ones that have labels) and made sure all the extras are "D". So at this point 3 partitions are green and say "P" next to them, the rest say "D". Then I did a write.

After quitting I rebooted and the partition still shows as raw.

It seems like the NTFS data is still there and testdisk seems to think the partition is OK. I also pulled it up in gparted just to see what the filesystem tag says and it still says NTFS. But writing in testdisk and rebooting does not seem to be changing anything.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: testdisk raw-to-NTFS attempt, testdisk seems happy with partition but no change seems to be happening

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try chkdsk as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapter "Repairing filesystem" and if it works work, "TestDisk: Repairing NTFS boot sector".
Good luck

bigteks

Re: testdisk raw-to-NTFS attempt, testdisk seems happy with partition but no change seems to be happening

#3 Post by bigteks »

Thank you, the chkdsk was all that was needed, I got all my data back.