Testdisk - Stop and resume data recovery.

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
willbeone

Testdisk - Stop and resume data recovery.

#1 Post by willbeone »

Hi guys I just want to know if when I am copying data from a bad disk (which testdisk in Kali linux can still read fine but not windows) and for some reason I experience a power outage, when I restart the copy process (just 1x major folder on a 4tb drive) and use the same destination does it skip the files that are the exact same and attempt to copy only the ones that either failed or were skipped (due to power outage/destination drive being unplugged, etc)?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Testdisk - Stop and resume data recovery.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Unfortunately it's not possible to resume the copy. It will restart from the beginning.

willbeone

Re: Testdisk - Stop and resume data recovery.

#3 Post by willbeone »

Thanks for your reply as I was just wondering why it is taking an hour or two to copy probably about 50 files (about 50 megabytes) that were not copied before a power cut to my building (after it spending a week to recover 150 gigabytes of data).

Also would there be a way to show how many 'files' are left that haven't been copied yet, or is this something that is planned for a future version?