How do I recover files from linux partition in hard drive but already formatted to NTFS?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Mattitude

How do I recover files from linux partition in hard drive but already formatted to NTFS?

#1 Post by Mattitude »

Hi there,
I'd like to get expert opinion from you folks on a data recovery question.

How do I recover files from a Linux partition in hard drive but already formatted to NTFS?

Previously this hard disk had 2 linux partitions and I did a backup of data and then decided to format to one large NTFS partition when I thought all data has been recovered. Unfortunately, some data/files were not moved.

How can I use Testdisk to recover those files in linux partitions since the hard disk has already been reformatted to NTFS already?

Can someone advise me? Thank you in advance.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: How do I recover files from linux partition in hard drive but already formatted to NTFS?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

It's possible to try to recover the old linux partition, this will delete the new NTFS partition.
Run TestDisk, Analyse, Quick Search, Stop, Deeper Search, use the arrow keys to switch the Linux partition to recover to P(rimary).
On next screen, your Linux partitions should be listed, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.
Use fsck to check and repair the filesystem of each partition. If necessary, use TestDisk, Advanced, Superblock to get extra parameters to help fsck to do its job.
If fsck failed, it's still possible to use PhotoRec on the damaged filesystem.