recovering Grasshopper binary (.gh) files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
winterskies

recovering Grasshopper binary (.gh) files

#1 Post by winterskies »

Dear Mr Grenier,

thank you for this wonderful utility, that has been recovering memories of my life since the time when my old Olympus camera xD cards would get corrupted from time to time. I am extremely grateful for your work.

Recently a FAT32-formatted USB key – where I had saved all my work for a project (several GB of data)– got corrupted (unknown reasons). I tried recovering files with PhotoRec. It worked wonderfully, but I have noticed that I am still missing a specific kind of files. I care about them because it took me some effort to develop them.

They were generated with Grasshopper (the Rhinoceros extension) and are called Grasshopper binary definition files, with .gh extension. I haven't been able to find them as supported files with the search function on the site.

From this page [ https://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/grasshopper_fileformat ] I see that Grasshopper uses different formats.
Probably because of my ignorance, I believe my files were all saved as Grasshopper binaries (.gh).
I don't know how hard it would be to add the code, but I think being able to recover .gh and .ghx files would be great.

(As a side note, I see that .ghx files are just XML files: do they already get recovered as .xml?)

I can provide examples of both formats. :) If possible, I am going to attach a zip containing a random sample .gh file (I can't attach it directly).

Thank you for everything.
Attachments
test array grasshopper 2.gh.zip
Zip archive containing a grasshoper binary file.
(4.99 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: recovering Grasshopper binary (.gh) files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I need at least 3 file samples of each format. Can you provide them for both gh and ghx ?
Have you tried TestDisk, Advanced, Boot, RebuildBS, List to access your lost files ?