External drive - Stopped working/Damaged files

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
simonstrandskov

External drive - Stopped working/Damaged files

#1 Post by simonstrandskov »

Hello people!
(First of all, sorry for my somewhat incorrect english!)

So recently i tried to copy a file onto my 2tbb seagate external drive, as i was copying - it came up with a error that something had happend so the file could not be copied. As i tried to make a secure unplug, it said it could not be peformed as the drive was still in use. In my frustration, i just unpluged it. Dang..

After i put it back into my usb, the drive came up as a Local drive :G, instead of the orginal name "Blue" (that i named it)
When i try to acces it, it says curropted files and the drive cannot be accesable.

The drive changed in the diskmanagment to RAW.
I could use the drive on my MAC and PC - so i guess it was EXfat.
Im using Windows10.
I tried Recuve, where it found 195xxx files. After trying to recover with it, the files that came up was like 10% and the files that got saved, was weird stuff from games and sough that i dont really need.
My hdd has been used for storage from older computer. So i know there is also alot of files that i dont really need.
The pictures/video files is the most important.

I found out about Testdisk and Photorec, but im not sure how exactaly what to do from here. I have the programs downloaded. But want to make sure im doing everything right.

i hope i'm posting in the right forum and i hope one of you can help me! Thanks.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: External drive - Stopped working/Damaged files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can always sort the recovered files by PhotoRec or another utility and only keep your jpg. It's possible to sort the jpg by date/time as explained in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Have you try "cmd" (right click run as administrator) and "chkdsk /f g:" (replace d: by the correct drive letter) ? What is the result ?