Cr3 & EOS R files not showing up after format?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
joshcali

Cr3 & EOS R files not showing up after format?

#1 Post by joshcali »

I just tried it on my SD card and it doesn't seem to be able to see any CR3 files or any files from before the format.

Do I need to set special options? I have the crw turned on.

I'm hoping the eos r isn't doing some new format that's hard to read through.

thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Cr3 & EOS R files not showing up after format?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

cr3 are part of the mov file family. It's recommended to use the default file format selection.
As you have reformated the memory card, enable the Exper mode in Options, start a recovery, when asked use a 512 bytes blocksize, use the default options otherwise.
Does it recover your lost files ?

gatewaytosg

#3 Post by gatewaytosg »

hi @cgrenier

I also am using an EOS R with the CR3 file format. I recently did an in camera "low-level" format of my SD card, by accident and am trying to recover the photos. I have not used the card to write any more data since then.

I have attempted to use 5 other data recovery programs I have had success with the past but none are working now. I downloaded PhotoRec 7.1 for Mac and ran the utility (took about an hour) and it dropped two compressed files (.gr I think) but they could NOT be unzipped/opened.

Is 7.1 supporting .CR3 files? I enabled expert mode but it did not ask for a blocksize, but did ask if I wanted to try and unformat a FAT file system. Did I miss that blocksize option, and is 7.1 supporting CR3 files?

Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec 7.1-WIP can recover .cr3 files.
In Expert mode when asked if you want to unformat a FAT filesystem, answer No, you should be asked how the blocksize next.
The format operation may have triggered a discard/trim operation ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing) ), if it's the case, your data can't be recovered by software means,
only specialized data recovery company can try to recover them by bypassing the flash memory controller.

gatewaytosg

#5 Post by gatewaytosg »

Thank you for the quick reply. For blocksize is it 512 or 512k?

I suspect the "low-level" format actually overwrites the card, if this is a discard/trim operation I am not sure but I suspect it is.