Can't seem to set search to unallocated space only

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
adcpr

Can't seem to set search to unallocated space only

#1 Post by adcpr »

I've just switched to Linux Mint (19.1) from windows and somehow managed to delete a file. Since I'm completely new to this, I'm stumbling around a bit trying to learn a lot of things at once, so I apologize if my question has an obvious answer. I use sudo photorec to start the program, I set the option for the file type I'm looking for (gz) as well as the other options (yes only to brute force disabled), and select the file system (ext4), but as soon as I select it and proceed, it starts the search without giving me the option of searching the whole disk or just unallocated space. I've read the manual, but I must be missing something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Can't seem to set search to unallocated space only

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The partition you have selected is probably not an ext4 filesystem, otherwise PhotoRec should have listed the option [Free].
If LVM is used on your disk, you have to select the logical volume (/dev/loop/XXX) instead of the disk and the partition.

adcpr

Re: Can't seem to set search to unallocated space only

#3 Post by adcpr »

Okay, thank you, I'll give that a try.