Dban interuped quick delete, lost one of 2 partitions

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
recoverynoobie

Dban interuped quick delete, lost one of 2 partitions

#1 Post by recoverynoobie »

Hello cgsecurity member,
I have a big problem. Yesterday I tried to use dban to delete a old disk with quick delete, but I couln't choose which hard disk should be deleted. I recognized immediately that something was wrong, because the delete process was already started. I immediately shut down my system after 1 % completion. But it still destroyed my 2 partitions which each of them has an Windows OS system installed. I was able to recover one partition with EaseUS Software but the second partition is still missing.
So my last hope is testdisk. I used analyse with all default settings. The first result screen was this.
first result.png
first result.png (45.03 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Now I have made a quick search. And that is the result of the search.
second result.png
second result.png (33.55 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
I believe the missing partition is ms data because the hardisk size fits. But there are 3 MS Data Partition with the same hard disk size but it should be only one. How should I proceed now? Can I combine them to one big partition?

Every help is apreciated and thanks that you read to the end :)

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Dban interuped quick delete, lost one of 2 partitions

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Choose Continue and on next screen, set the partitions and if necessary manually add ('a' key) partitions to match the partitions listed on your first screenshot.
Once it's done, go on next screen, choose Write and confirm.
Go in Advanced menu, select the partition 4, Boot, BackupBS and confirm, Quit
Restart your computer. You should be able to access your 2 big partitions (partitions listed as 4 and 5).

recoverynoobie

#3 Post by recoverynoobie »

Thanks for your Reply ! I pressed continue and then i pressed p to check for my files. The first ms data couln't be opened because the file system was damaged. The second ms data contained a bunch of folder with strange special characters. The third ms data contained the partiton which I already have recovered with EaseUS Software. So i should only select the second ms data for recovery or still select all 3 and add them together?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Based on your good initial description one can guess what happened in your case.
You simply deleted the first 1% of your harddrive.

A C-H-S-mapping of 60801 255 63 with a sector size gives you 60801*255*63*512=500.105.249.280 = 500 GByte of size.
This data from the first screenshot fits the size indication of 500 GByte, so your sector size is really 512 Byte.
You have a total of 60801*255*63 = 976.768.065 sectors.

You deleted 1% of them: 1%*976.768.065=9.767.680,65 =~9.767.681

That killed your partition table, but as it seemed to be a GPT one, Testdisk could use the copy at the end of the disc.

The partition no.4 starts at sector 1.083.392.
You deleted everything from the beginning until partition no.4.
Concerning that partition, you deleted 9.767.681-1.083.392=8.684.289
sectors at the beginning of your first Windows operating system.
The partition no. 5 is not affected, as is starts way beyond the place where you stopped deleting the harddrive.

Conclusion:
The second windows operating system should be perfectly recoverable.
The first windows operation system is partly dammaged, no chance to get it back running, MFT probably overwritten. Use Photorec to recover data that might be in that partition.

You should have Testdisk rewrite the data from the alternate GPT.
Maybe a repair installation of your Microsoft operating system might be possibly able to rewrite the content of the overwritten partitions to reenable the start of your second installation.

recoverynoobie

#5 Post by recoverynoobie »

Haha thanks, there is no point to hide that i really fucked up. If I want some good help I should be as precise as possible.

Ah okay that happened, thanks for the detailed explanation. Ya the second windows partition seems to be all fine , i just have to fix the os, because its not booting right now. It should work like cgrenier said right?

"You should have Testdisk rewrite the data from the alternate GPT." How do I do that? Can you give me a step to step solution please? I can't boot to windows so I can't use the windows tools to repair my system.
4.png
4.png (55.31 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Today i tried to deep search with testdisk and that are the results. Nothing changed right? Except I got two more ms data partitions.

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

recoverynoobie wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 19:34 "You should have Testdisk rewrite the data from the alternate GPT." How do I do that? Can you give me a step to step solution please?
I can't. I have not yet needed to use GPT myself.
You should be able to add them one by one.

Read the manual, "17.1.6 Advanced menu":

Code: Select all

Add partition:
•  EFI GPT, Mac, XBoX
–  s,XX starting sector
–  s,XX ending sector
–  T,XX type
I can't boot to windows so I can't use the windows tools to repair my system.
The repair process should run off a Windows CD/DVD.

recoverynoobie

#7 Post by recoverynoobie »

I gave up on try to recover my hardisk thanks for your help guys