Unable to recover data from a dd image

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
doglover04

Unable to recover data from a dd image

#1 Post by doglover04 »

Hi long time ago one of my old hard drives went bad. Before i got rid of it i made a dd image out of the drive In testdisk i cannot recover the data it keeps saying file system is damaged from the dd image. I tried photorec but its not showing any of my files just all windows stuff witch thats not what was on the drive just a regular storage drive no windows on it. I looked all over on your forum. The dd image was created from testdisk. Am i unable to recover my data? I no longer have the drive.

recuperation

Re: Unable to recover data from a dd image

#2 Post by recuperation »

doglover04 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 05:36 Hi long time ago one of my old hard drives went bad. Before i got rid of it i made a dd image out of the drive In testdisk i cannot recover the data it keeps saying file system is damaged from the dd image. I tried photorec but its not showing any of my files just all windows stuff witch thats not what was on the drive just a regular storage drive no windows on it. I looked all over on your forum. The dd image was created from testdisk. Am i unable to recover my data? I no longer have the drive.
Your drive could have gone bad because of unreadable sectors. DD is not the right candidate to handle read errors I suppose it stopped upon the first read error. I would always use ddrescue.
I tried photorec but its not showing any of my files just all windows stuff witch thats not what was on the drive just a regular storage drive no windows on it.
I have difficulties in understanding this sentence.
If I get it correctly you probably applied testdisk to your local disk but not to the dd-image.

Posting the logfile is always useful.

recuperation

#3 Post by recuperation »

doglover04 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 05:36 Hi long time ago one of my old hard drives went bad. Before i got rid of it i made a dd image out of the drive In testdisk i cannot recover the data it keeps saying file system is damaged from the dd image. I tried photorec but its not showing any of my files just all windows stuff witch thats not what was on the drive just a regular storage drive no windows on it. I looked all over on your forum. The dd image was created from testdisk. Am i unable to recover my data? I no longer have the drive.
Your drive could have gone bad because of unreadable sectors. DD is not the right candidate to handle read errors. I suppose it stopped upon the first read error. To verify this: Your dd file should be as big as your bad drive.
I would always use ddrescue.
I tried photorec but its not showing any of my files just all windows stuff witch thats not what was on the drive just a regular storage drive no windows on it.
I have difficulties in understanding this sentence.
If I get it correctly you probably applied testdisk to your local disk but not to the dd-image.

Posting the logfile is always useful.

doglover04

#4 Post by doglover04 »

Ill try to explain it better. I right click on the dd image on my windows desktop and i select test disk and test disk opens and from there i have it scan for any data from the dd image but it keeps saying file system is damaged unable to repair from the dd image. Now i did the same steps for photorec by right clicking the dd image and selecting photorec. I did the same steps in photorec i did in testdisk but in photorec it keeps pointing to my windows drive drive C but it won't let me select the dd image within photorec. I hope this helps you understand what i mean. I can't post a log file no place to let me create a login file since its not the original drive just a dd image i created right before the drive died on me. In testdisk it saids filesystem is damaged cannot open. Bootsector and backup bootsector saids ok. I thought i could recover my data from testdisk using a dd image. I have read so many information on your page on how to recover data from a dd image.

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

doglover04 wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 23:16 I right click on the dd image on my windows desktop and i select test disk and test disk opens and from there i have it scan for any data from the dd image but it keeps saying file system is damaged unable to repair from the dd image.
Do it again using a command line as described by Christophe Grenier here:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Media_Image

If run correctly you should see an output like the one listed under "Extended DOS Partition Test":

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDis ... s_testcase
doglover04 wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 23:16 I did the same steps in photorec i did in testdisk but in photorec it keeps pointing to my windows drive drive C but it won't let me select the dd image within photorec.
Use the command line as well.

If you do not manage to open up your dd-file, write that dd-file onto a sufficiently large empty harddisk and run testdisk again and navigate to the hard disk in question which now contains the content of your dd-file.