Started to get "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)" error message after using photorec on USB flash drive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
hgter5

Started to get "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)" error message after using photorec on USB flash drive

#1 Post by hgter5 »

Hello. So recently was trying to recover some data from flash drive and photorec asked to unformat that flash drive to FAT32 i agreed but there was no output. Still everything was fine. After that i've tried to recover something again and this time photorec told me "Create an image_remaining.dd (some numbers here MB) file with the unknown data (Answer N if not sure) (Y/N)" pressed Y and seemed it just freezed. Pressed Y and N a couple of times then it closed leaving me with "image_remaining.dd" file on disk which is 4.70 GB. Flash drive became transparent in windows(7) with "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)" error message when trying to open it and none of the programs can see it. Can something be done to make flash drive work as it were? Already tried cgsecurity.org/wiki/Image_Creation with dd on windows but i get this

C:\recover>dd if=C:\recover\image_remaining.dd of=\\.\G:
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.6beta3.
Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>
This program is covered by terms of the GPL Version 2.

Error writing file: 21 ?????????? ?? ??????
1+0 records in
0+0 records out

If it makes sense here is photorec options:
Paranoid : Yes (Brute force disable)
Keep corrupted files : No
Expert mode : Yes
Low memory : No

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Started to get "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)" error message after using photorec on USB flash drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Using rawwrite wasn't a good idea, image_remaining.dd must not be written back to a media.
Your USB disk is probably too damaged to be reused anyway.

Please check the recovered files.