Mistakenly formatted and reinstalled windows 10 on wrong partition (Containing Personal Data)

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tawseef1234

Mistakenly formatted and reinstalled windows 10 on wrong partition (Containing Personal Data)

#1 Post by tawseef1234 »

I was supposed to downgrade my laptop's operating system from windows10 to Windows 7.

But due to really bad partition labels, i first mistakenly formatted wrong partition (E) and then deleted such partition (E) to make new one for fresh windows instalation.

After successfully installing the fresh windows, i am shocked to see my all personal data in (E) has been lost and replaced by new windows files.

My HDD is of 1TB Containing the following Partitions:

Local Disk (C) : 100 GB (windows)
Local Disk (D) : 730 GB (Personal Data)
Local Disk (E) : 100 GB (Old windows files) Because E has become C now ( If i am not wrong)

The Data in my E was approximately 50 GB (All Lost now).

PLEASE HELP ME OUT SIR.

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS : tawseef.baba@gmail.com

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Mistakenly formatted and reinstalled windows 10 on wrong partition (Containing Personal Data)

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can use PhotoRec to recover your data. It will not recover the original filenames.
Be careful to store the recovered files on another disk to avoid to overwrite the lost data.

tawseef1234

Re: Mistakenly formatted and reinstalled windows 10 on wrong partition (Containing Personal Data)

#3 Post by tawseef1234 »

Below was my process :

Partition (E) containing personal data ➡️ First Formatted it ➡️ Then deleted and recreated same partition (E) ➡️ and installed fresh windows10 on it.

Here is my HDD position after fresh windows instalation :

Partition (C) 100 GB : (Showing new windows files)
Partition (D) 750 GB : (Containing other personal data)
Partition (E) 100 GB : ( Containing OLD windows files)

🛑PhotoRec and TestDisk are different softwares ?????

🛑 Do i need to scan Drive (E) or Drive (C) ?????

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

tawseef1234 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 05:04 🛑PhotoRec and TestDisk are different softwares ?????
Yes. Please read:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/
🛑 Do i need to scan Drive (E) or Drive (C) ?????
You should scan both of them as your description is contradictory as to which partition is affected.

tawseef1234

#5 Post by tawseef1234 »

My Partition was Bitlocker encrypted.

Can TESTDISK recover Deleted Bitlocker partitions...???

If not suggest any other software.

tawseef1234

#6 Post by tawseef1234 »

Please help me out from here.

After deeper search for partition, it is showing two results.

Don't know if i have a chances to recover that lost partition.

Can you help me sir?? (I HAVE ADDED SCREENSHOT)
Attachments
testdiskafterdeepsearch.jpg
testdiskafterdeepsearch.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

I can't help you.

Testdisk will not find your encrypted partitions because Bitlocker seems to encrypt every sector of the volume in question.
The volume is then encrypted as a background task, something that may take a considerable amount of time with a large disk as every logical sector is read, encrypted and rewritten back to disk.[36]
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

With the full volume being encrypted Testdisk won't be able to detect your partition.

But a professional recovery service should be able to help you out assuming that you have a valid key and that there are no important broken sectors in your encrypted volume.

If you want to do that yourself you will have to recover volume D. If D is up and running you just have to find out where E starts and make a manual entry in the partition table - I guess.
You can run the partitioning part that you did on your faulty drive on a secondary drive just to find out where E started. That will show you if there is empty space between D and E for instance.
That distance depends on the program you used for partitioning the drive.
Please accept that I won't support this way of recovery. It is just an idea for you or somebody else. I have not been confronted with a similar situation yet, you might need to test that strategy on a secondary machine.