After deep search, many small fragments of my lost Ext4 partition as “Linux filesys. data” show up.

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
u4953063563

After deep search, many small fragments of my lost Ext4 partition as “Linux filesys. data” show up.

#1 Post by u4953063563 »

After disabling bitlocker I was finally able to find something beyond the MS Data on my ThinkPad. I instructed a whole disc deep search to TestDisk and it found many many small “Linux filesys. Data” partitions that are “damaged”. Which I suppose represent what is left from the lost Ext4 partition of my previous Debian installation.

I merely wanted to recover a single LibreOffice .odt OpenDoc file. I have failed to do so with PhotoRec because after a certain point it kept looping on a particular segment of sectors. I then turned to TestDisk, but it seems my previous Ext4 partition is not in good shape at the moment. Is there anything I could do with it?

Thank You!!

Update:
I’m now running a deep search via Alt Linux, and here’s a few new details:
1. I chose “none” for table, and classified the entire disc as “ext4” before the deep search.
2. Deep search now says these fragments are specifically “ext4” which is progress, I suppose?
3. Search performance via Alt Linux is like 10x times faster than doing the same on Windows.

I took the picture from my phone because my laptop is fully occupied by a TTY screen from Alt Linux. I’m also writing this from my phone, this is the best I could:
https://i.imgur.com/XcOCiz3_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium