Recovering a deleted dynamic disk partition in windows

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jogna

Recovering a deleted dynamic disk partition in windows

#1 Post by jogna »

Hello people. This is my first time writing in this forum, but I really need your help.
Last night I started cleaning up and sorting files on my pc and I messed up. Here is everything that happened.
I'm using Windows 7 One of my hard drives had 2 partitions "D" and "E".
Partition "D" was 700GB and partition "E" was approximately 1160GB.
I wanted to combine the two partitions and to have only one partition for this drive. I moved my files from "D" to "E" and deleted the "D" partition. When I tried to extend the E partition so it can use the available space windows said that it needed to be converted to dynamic partition. I was never being asked to do that before and it seemed weird, because this were not my system partitions and windows had nothing to do with them. So I converted them to dynamic and I had only 1 letter in my computer, but in the disk manager they were still separated. They were highlighted in yellow. I didn't liked that and I decided to delete the "D" partition again. The problem is that now both partitions are gone ("D" and "E", and my data was on partition "E").
I started looking up online and found out about TestDisk. I downloaded the 64 bit version, selected the drive, and selected the Intel option, then I selected analyze, selected quick search (it started from 37% analyzing) and I stopped it, one of my partitions showed up. I think that the star option was selected (Primary bootable) and pressed enter. I restarted my PC and one of my partitions showed up. The problem was that the partition that I recovered the empty "D" partition.
I tried the scanning again and let it scan to 100%, then I selected the partition that showed up, but again that was the empty partition.
Now when I start scanning I get an error saying that the hard disk seems too small.
https://imgur.com/BqJutsC

Could you please help me recover my deleted dynamic partition. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering a deleted dynamic disk partition in windows

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Choose Continue and post the results from the next screen.

jogna

Re: Recovering a deleted dynamic disk partition in windows

#3 Post by jogna »

Sorry for the late reply. Managed to recover all of my files using different software.
From what I saw using TestDisk somehow I accidentally had recovered the empty partition twice, but not the other one.
You can close the topic. :)