Photorec "didn't" recover "all" files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Hollow77Shots

Photorec "didn't" recover "all" files

#1 Post by Hollow77Shots »

Hi again,

And I'm really sorry for bothering.

I ran Disk Drill to understand what's in a memory card I have and recover a few files. I then ran PhotoRec to recover the files. Unfortunately, even after selecting the whole partition, Photorec did not recover all files that Disk Drill had detected.

If it helps, Photorec is detecting several different partitions (which is weird). So maybe I should run it for every single partition?

Thank you and very best,
Hollow
Last edited by Hollow77Shots on 10 Apr 2020, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

Re: Photorec didn't recover all files

#2 Post by recuperation »

Hollow77Shots wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 14:52 Hi again,

And I'm really sorry for bothering.

I ran Disk Drill to understand what's in a memory card I have and recover a few files. I then ran PhotoRec to recover the files. Unfortunately, even after selecting the whole partition, Photorec did not recover all files that Disk Drill had detected.
Different concept, different results. Not comparable.

If it helps, Photorec is detecting several different partitions (which is weird).
Totally logical depending on the content found.
So maybe I should run it for every single partition?
If you just had one partition before run it on the whole disk.

Hollow77Shots

Re: Photorec "didn't" recover "all" files

#3 Post by Hollow77Shots »

Hi recuperation,

Thank you.
"Different concept, different results. Not comparable."
Not sure I understand, I'm sorry. In what way? And then how can I recover the rest of the files detected by disk drill from the memory card (that is actually empty).
"Totally logical depending on the content found"
What happened was that the usb disconnected a few times while I was using Test Disk and every time I reconected a new dev/r would show up. In the end, I was able to do part of what I intended by disconnecting the memory card and working with the newest dev/r.

Truth be said, I'm still strugling with this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9941. I now understand that because the external hard drive lost power while being used, a number of files got lost and lost track of themselves. By connecting the external hard drive with a Windows PC, windows repair system put these files in a FOUND folder and gave the files a .chk type.

I just need to know how I can recover these files from before this change and if this is even possible? If I "undelete", these don't show up.

I'm really thankful for all the help. These files are massively important and all that possibly helps is very much welcome.

Very best regards.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Hollow77Shots wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:44
"Different concept, different results. Not comparable."
Not sure I understand,
Different recovery strategy. I explained that in a posting during the last 2 or 3 months but I can't find it now.
I'm sorry. In what way? And then how can I recover the rest of the files detected by disk drill from the memory card (that is actually empty).
Ask the disk drill support.
"Totally logical depending on the content found"
What happened was that the usb disconnected a few times while I was using Test Disk
You used Testdisk on your broken computer? This is really destructive and a very stupid idea. Common sense should prevent you from doing so.
and every time I reconected a new dev/r would show up. In the end, I was able to do part of what I intended by disconnecting the memory card and working with the newest dev/r.

Truth be said, I'm still strugling with this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9941. I now understand that because the external hard drive lost power while being used, a number of files got lost and lost track of themselves. By connecting the external hard drive with a Windows PC, windows repair system put these files in a FOUND folder and gave the files a .chk type.

I just need to know how I can recover these files from before this change and if this is even possible? If I "undelete", these don't show up.

I'm really thankful for all the help. These files are massively important and all that possibly helps is very much welcome.
Sorry, I personally don't want to hear those stories about massively important files anymore - that is outright ridiculous.
If so consult a professional recovery service - if there is anything left to rescue after all your interventions.

As can be seen from our conversation from the other thread you are absolutely ignorant towards hardware errors (continuing to using your faulty notebook, pretending to repair it (repeatedly??? - that is not a repair!) to continuously connecting/disconnecting your memory stick - that is like driving a car with used up brake pads down to bare metal.

Basically you can judge the abilities of people and their chance of performing a recovery already by their error description. Unfortunately you have no clue what you are doing and you don't understand my hints.
This is not to put you down, this is an unfortunately negative feedback to prevent you from destroying your massively important files.

Hollow77Shots

#5 Post by Hollow77Shots »

Hi recuperation,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it, but the toxicity levels on your side are unbelievable.

You clearly misunderstood what I wrote overall, didn't understand the issues and believe I came from a bad place to this all. I was actually writing a full reply but figured out mid-way that I don't have to comply with this type of behavior.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.
Hollow