Can't find partition on 32Gb SD card - anything else to try?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
aNDY3142

Can't find partition on 32Gb SD card - anything else to try?

#1 Post by aNDY3142 »

I've got a 32Gb SD card which malfunctioned in a camera. I connected the camera to a Win 10 laptop and I could see and read many .MOV files. In the few minutes which it took me to clear 32 Gb on my hard disk to copy the files, the card went dead - it died in my arms, so to speak. Several file recovery programs say they can't read it at all. Photorec says it is only 8GB, and indeed that is RO, Testdisk can't find any partition. This suggests it is physically damaged but nevertheless I wonder if there is anything at all else whatsoever I can try? Or if not physically defective, what could cause such extreme damage? I just seems so strange it can be nearly OK one moment, dead the next.

Many thanks

Andy
Bristol UK

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Can't find partition on 32Gb SD card - anything else to try?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can always try PhotoRec but as the reported capacity is wrong, it will probably not work.
If there are videos you didn't have time to recover, contacting a data recovery company may be the only solution.

recuperation

#3 Post by recuperation »

Andy,

buy expensive quality stuff. I think of Sandisk as a manufacturer, the others don't come to my mind right now.
Unfortunately Sandisk has different product lines which vary in speed. I assume that those proven high speed cards carry better storage than the supermarket noname merchandise which is maybe filled with cheap garbage flash storage from the Shenzen spot/fake markets.

aNDY3142

#4 Post by aNDY3142 »

Alas Photorec didn't work. Sad but wise advice, and I'm buying a good quality Sandisk card.

Thank you both.

Kind regards
Andrew