NTFS filesystem corrupted missing about 1/2 my files

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Slowchemical622

NTFS filesystem corrupted missing about 1/2 my files

#1 Post by Slowchemical622 »

Good Afternoon all i should probably start from the beginning..I recently had my NTFS external WD 250Gb HD accidently plugged into my playstation 3 (which normally only reads FAT32 only) somehow the playstation perhaps recognized it as a drive with either a FAT32 filesystem or no filesystem at all 1 file was copied onto the drive and laptop (running Windows 7) no longer recognized all of my files ive run chkdsk multiple times and it doesnt recognize an error or any bad sectors...i ran testdisk analyze quicksearch for NTFS and it said the filesystem was damaged or corrupted, i went on to run the deeper scan option and 2 or 3 NTFS partitions were found all of them except for one were mentioned as damaged or corrupted and i couldnt go farther..for the one accessible one it wouldnt show me anything but the files i could already see and not the missing ones...i have only scanned the drive using testdisk easeus, ontrack easy recover and recuva but i havent written anything to the hard drive in hopes the files are still there, in fact disk management still shows that the space is taken but it also mentions my drive is healthy which its not :( ...any help or suggestions would be great seeing as im at ends.

Slowchemical622

Re: NTFS filesystem corrupted missing about 1/2 my files

#2 Post by Slowchemical622 »

Update....To add a little more insight the folders/files that are recognized seem to be all read-only...but i found using photorec is retrieveing the film files i seem to have lost (im a videographer and was only missing mov files)...unfortunately the drive im backing up to doesnt belong to me and that person will need it back soon...will it affect the drive and my chances or recovering these files again if i cancel the operation prematurely and attempt it again on a new drive i purchase? as mentioned before any insight would mean the world to me thanks in advance

Slowchemical622

Re: NTFS filesystem corrupted missing about 1/2 my files

#3 Post by Slowchemical622 »

Update fortunately Photorec Recovery just about recovered all of my video files..i would still like to rebuild the filesystem structure any suggestions on how to go about this?