Fixed removable drive filesystem under Linux but Windows still won't mount it

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
inbon

Fixed removable drive filesystem under Linux but Windows still won't mount it

#1 Post by inbon »

I initially posted this as an issue on Gihub and was told to post it here.

I have a 4TB Seagate removable drive, whose USB connected has weakened at on-drive connection and eventually repeated disconnect/connect events resulted in the drive being no longer recognized by Windows. I immediately used TestDisk (the best utility even among the non-free ones in my experience) and may have made an incorrect choice, so it failed. I then used TestDisk under Linux, the issue was fixed, and now I have no issue mounting the drive under Linux. However, I still need to mount the drive under Windows and cannot do so.

TestDisk under Windows finds the drive, finds the partition, seems to restore it, but after a reboot Windows still won't recognize it, as if nothing happened.

I posted the error log in a Google Doc at https://j.mp/sg8tdsk and a more detailed (more links) at https://inbonobo.tumblr.com/post/624365 ... -partition

I think that this is a bug, but maybe I'm wrong?

LE: added 3 screenshots, which is maximum
Attachments
testdiskwin03.jpg
testdiskwin03.jpg (67 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
testdiskwin02.jpg
testdiskwin02.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
testdiskwin01.jpg
testdiskwin01.jpg (44.03 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Last edited by inbon on 22 Jul 2020, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

Re: Fixed removable drive filesystem under Linux but Windows still won't mount it

#2 Post by recuperation »

inbon wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 19:18 I initially posted this as an issue on Gihub and was told to post it here.

I have a 4TB Seagate removable drive, whose USB connected has weakened at on-drive connection and eventually repeated disconnect/connect events resulted in the drive being no longer recognized by Windows. I immediately used TestDisk (the best utility even among the non-free ones in my experience) and may have made an incorrect choice, so it failed. I then used TestDisk under Linux, the issue was fixed,
Please specify what you did. Even Rasputin would't be able to foresee what "The issue was fixed" means.
and now I have no issue mounting the drive under Linux. However, I still need to mount the drive under Windows and cannot do so.

TestDisk under Windows
If you repaired it already using Linux it stays repaired under Windows - no need to run Testdisk again!
finds the drive, finds the partition, seems to restore it,
Post screenshots of what you did in Testdisk and attach them directly to your posting here using the attachment tab on the bottom of the page so that all your information is here and readable for others in the future.
but after a reboot Windows still won't recognize it, as if nothing happened.

I posted the error log in a Google Doc at https://j.mp/sg8tdsk and a more detailed (more links) at https://inbonobo.tumblr.com/post/624365 ... -partition

I think that this is a bug, but maybe I'm wrong?
I rather suspect an user error. 8-)

inbon

Re: Fixed removable drive filesystem under Linux but Windows still won't mount it

#3 Post by inbon »

recuperation wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 21:08 Please specify what you did. Even Rasputin would't be able to foresee what "The issue was fixed" means.
This was done months ago. As I recall, started Testdisk, chose the disk, then followed default option (EFI/GPT), Analysed, pressed Enter to choose the found partition, Write partition structure to disk, confirm Y, reboot, and from then on Linux mounted the drive without an issue.
If you repaired it already using Linux it stays repaired under Windows - no need to run Testdisk again!
Again, this is not what is happening, which is why I reported this as an issue on GitHub and again here. Following the aforementioned path under Windows has no effect and the drive continues to not be recognized under Windows.
Post screenshots of what you did in Testdisk and attach them directly to your posting here using the attachment tab on the bottom of the page so that all your information is here and readable for others in the future.
I did not take screenshots in Linux, nor in Windows. I cannot go back in time and take screenshots under Linux. I added the first 3 screenshots to my first post and the last 2 to this one.
Attachments
testdiskwinfinal.jpg
testdiskwinfinal.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
testdiskwin04.jpg
testdiskwin04.jpg (44.19 KiB) Viewed 4462 times

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Testdisk states in a picture above that the structure is OK.

With your unstable USB connector the obvious solution is to duplicate your drive under Linux either on file level or as a whole to another drive without any physical connection problems.