PhotoRec UI improvements

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
markmarques

PhotoRec UI improvements

#1 Post by markmarques »

I had using photorec | Testdisk for the past 10 years , always with success ...
( Both Linux and Windows versions )

But recently I have found a bit of a small issue:

(I am trying to recover the files from a DVD | MDS set of files ) .. but beforehand "recovered" the full ISO ( full single continuous single file Track01.ISO with 4.3Gb ) with Isobuster TM . )
In Isobuster It listed and were "possible" to recover several files ( MP3, MPG , ...

So my idea was why no try to use Photorec ?
Got the latest windows 7.2 WIP windows binaries and pointed them to analyse Track01.ISO file ...

And here are my small comment:

If I select only MP3 and MPG type files It find some of them within a minute or two and exits with sucess...

But if I select to recover all the known types of files it starts and after 3 hours it had no feedback whatsoever ...
( the process were alive and responded to the "STOP" button correctly though, in the next iteration call indicated if I would like to continue where it was last time ... but still no feedback ...

My comment and idea would be if possible to have some kind of visual feedback in the UI ...
something that could give a rough idea if the program is doing anything like the "old" "/|\" indication or similar in the interface ...

Another comment to improve would be the filetype selection , would it be to much to ask for multiple columns ... ( something similar to the Filesystem type menu choice ... )

Thank you in advance
Mark Marques

recuperation

Re: PhotoRec UI improvements

#2 Post by recuperation »

markmarques wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 12:41 I had using photorec | Testdisk for the past 10 years , always with success ...
( Both Linux and Windows versions )

But recently I have found a bit of a small issue:

(I am trying to recover the files from a DVD | MDS set of files ) .. but beforehand "recovered" the full ISO ( full single continuous single file Track01.ISO with 4.3Gb ) with Isobuster TM . )
In Isobuster It listed and were "possible" to recover several files ( MP3, MPG , ...
Isobuster understands ISO and UDF and will probably try to access files using metadata instead of fingerprinting. This would require at least a partly working file system.

So my idea was why no try to use Photorec ?
Got the latest windows 7.2 WIP windows binaries and pointed them to analyse Track01.ISO file ...

And here are my small comment:

If I select only MP3 and MPG type files It find some of them within a minute or two and exits with sucess...

But if I select to recover all the known types of files it starts and after 3 hours it had no feedback whatsoever ...
( the process were alive and responded to the "STOP" button correctly though, in the next iteration call indicated if I would like to continue where it was last time ... but still no feedback ...
If your DVD used the ISO or UDF file system you can see here
https://www.cgsecurity.org/
that it is not listed.
Testdisk does not support it.
Use commercial third party tools instead.
My comment and idea would be if possible to have some kind of visual feedback in the UI ...
something that could give a rough idea if the program is doing anything like the "old" "/|\" indication or similar in the interface ...

Another comment to improve would be the filetype selection , would it be to much to ask for multiple columns ... ( something similar to the Filesystem type menu choice ... )
The most urgent issue not yet done with file type selection is an entry in the manual translating file type into the associated family that has to be selected.

Christophe Grenier will certainly think about your proposals once he reads your posting!

cgrenier
Site Admin

#3 Post by cgrenier »

There may be an endless loop.
Can you share privately this iso (ie. google drive) so I can try to reproduce the bug ?

markmarques

#4 Post by markmarques »

Sorry for the delayed answer...
I am unable to send the file as I have bandwidth restritions ( the ISO file is almost 5Gb ) ...

Nonetheless how can I check if it is a "loop" detail ?
Is there any "debug | log mode" to activate ?

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

markmarques wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 12:21 I am unable to send the file as I have bandwidth restritions ( the ISO file is almost 5Gb ) ...
Split your ISO in parts with 7zip.
Upload them one after another.

Please provide better excuses ;-)

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

Do you have the problem with latest 7.2-WIP ?