RAW Hard Drive with Bad Boot Sector and Bad Backup Boot Sector

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
hisoka

RAW Hard Drive with Bad Boot Sector and Bad Backup Boot Sector

#1 Post by hisoka »

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so I apologize in advance if it is. I have a hard drive that was infected with malware a long time ago, and its file system is listed as RAW. TestDisk says that both the boot sector and backup boot sector are bad. I tried to rebuild the boot sector, but it failed. If someone could help me or give me some advice, I would be grateful.

recuperation

Re: RAW Hard Drive with Bad Boot Sector and Bad Backup Boot Sector

#2 Post by recuperation »

hisoka wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 16:13 Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so I apologize in advance if it is. I have a hard drive that was infected with malware a long time ago, and its file system is listed as RAW. TestDisk says that both the boot sector and backup boot sector are bad. I tried to rebuild the boot sector, but it failed. If someone could help me or give me some advice, I would be grateful.
Today's malware is ransomware that encrypts files but does not destroy partitions. How does the malware infection and the RAW status relate?

hisoka

#3 Post by hisoka »

The ransomware was Petya, which infects the boot sector and formats the hard drive. I have since decrypted the drive and (I believe) removed Petya. Unfortunately the drive is not bootable, but I can still view files. It also appears many files were deleted/corrupted, especially the AppData folder. I am working on recovering the files that I want but wish to fix the drive after that.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Buy a new drive, reinstall your operating there.
Trying to make a formally encrypted drive reboot may cost lots of time but the success is not guaranteed.
I could only give you the hint to use repair installation features as given on the installation media of your secret operating system.