New drive, went RAW because of hdd dock. Can't recover maybe

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
microcenterdrivessuk

New drive, went RAW because of hdd dock. Can't recover maybe

#1 Post by microcenterdrivessuk »

Hello all,
I have a 3tb Hitachi. I was using it to backup files from a old drive. I used the CRYSTALDISK program to check the SMART of the drives. BOTH PASS with no problems
I moved stuff over and after a restart my new drive went RAW. Still has the drive letter but unreadable.

I am trying to use test disk. I checked the boot sector and backup boot sector. Both are OK

The partition shows up.
It says
P MSDATA
I did the [analyse] option did quick search and it sees the partition but CANT SEE FILES.
Says "cant open file system may be damaged"

Been looking at hella forum posts and figured I needed to do a REBUILDBS? It is currently doing that as i type.

I was worried about usin chkdsk. But i am LITERALLY lost as hell. What should i be doing, what info can I provide rn that would help yall help me?

I am like 99% sure the drive isnt physically fucked but Obvs idk and honestly i just want the data on it back.

recuperation

Re: New drive, went RAW because of hdd dock. Can't recover maybe

#2 Post by recuperation »

microcenterdrivessuk wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 02:35 Hello all,
I have a 3tb Hitachi. I was using it to backup files from a old drive. I used the CRYSTALDISK program to check the SMART of the drives. BOTH PASS with no problems
I moved stuff over and after a restart my new drive went RAW. Still has the drive letter but unreadable.
Please attach a smartmontools log file (www.smartmontools.org) to your next post.
Run smartctl -a /dev/sdX > C:\micro.txt
Replace X by the letter of your faulty drive.

Why should your hdd dock be responsible? If proven, use a flawless other dock.

I am trying to use test disk. I checked the boot sector and backup boot sector. Both are OK

The partition shows up.
It says
P MSDATA
I did the [analyse] option did quick search and it sees the partition but CANT SEE FILES.
Says "cant open file system may be damaged"
Have you used the "p" (list files) function?
Please attach the Testdisk logfile to your next posting as well.
Been looking at hella forum posts and figured I needed to do a REBUILDBS? It is currently doing that as i type.
I was worried about usin chkdsk. But i am LITERALLY lost as hell. What should i be doing, what info can I provide rn that would help yall help me?
I am like 99% sure the drive isnt physically fucked but Obvs idk and honestly i just want the data on it back.
Please rewrite your latest sentences in a way that is understable for foreigners:
"what info can I provide rn that would help yall help me?" ???
"Obvs idk" ???

Before using chkdsk please duplicate the drive using ddrescue as described in the manual.

frankywashere

#3 Post by frankywashere »

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem with my drive. Would love it if you could DM me. I'd even be willing to pay you for your time. Feel free to email frankywashere@gmail.com

Thanks,

Frank

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Thank you for the offer!
Unfortunately I am not offering paid recovery services.

I don't know what you mean by "DM".

Please contact Christophe Grenier. You find his contact data here: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Support
I either read on his site or in the documentation that he is offering commercial recovery services.

BitterColdSoul

#5 Post by BitterColdSoul »

Why should your hdd dock be responsible? If proven, use a flawless other dock.
Something similar happened to me once, with a 3TB HDD as well. I plugged it through an external encosure to my portable computer, and the capacity appeared erroneously as 746GB, so I (foolishly) ran CHKDSK, and then it worked again, but many files had disappeared (luckily I had a nearly complete backup). It turned out, as I understand it, that the enclosure wasn't compatible with drives above 2TB (at least in USB, as I had previously used that same drive on that same enclosure in eSATA with no issue), and using CHKDSK in that configuration completely messed up the MFT.

There are also enclosures (although not so much docking stations as far as I know) that have a special controller which translates the actual 512 bytes sector size to a virtual 4KB sector size, which allows to connect a drive with a capacity higher than 2TB on older systems, but if a drive is formatted inside such an enclosure, then used outside of it, or the other way around, there can be similar trouble.