Storage Pool Missing Folders Issue

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tmfm13

Storage Pool Missing Folders Issue

#1 Post by tmfm13 »

I have two 5TB external drives (less than a year old, bought specifically for this pool) set up as a mirrored storage pool in Windows as my main "important files" drive. Recently, when moving files over to the pool, I noticed that several folders were no longer showingup. Most folders, sub-folders and files are still there, but it basically took off the last portion of the file directory tree. As in when expanding in Windows, everything below a certain point is gone. It starts with all (200+) subfolders within a folder, but the files in the folder are still there. I didn't make any changes between the last time I know the folders were there (approx 2 weeks ago) and when I first noticed they were gone. I've tried ReclaiMe, it took almost 48 hours to create an image of the storage pool and said the image was corrupt. Trying R-Studio on both the storage pool and the physical drive found a few of the folders, but was unable to recover anything. Currently creating a disk image of the storage pool partition with TestDisk, but was hoping for any possible insight on what could have caused this.

recuperation

Re: Storage Pool Missing Folders Issue

#2 Post by recuperation »

tmfm13 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 20:29 I have two 5TB external drives (less than a year old, bought specifically for this pool) set up as a mirrored storage pool in Windows as my main "important files" drive. Recently, when moving files over to the pool, I noticed that several folders were no longer showingup. Most folders, sub-folders and files are still there, but it basically took off the last portion of the file directory tree. As in when expanding in Windows, everything below a certain point is gone. It starts with all (200+) subfolders within a folder, but the files in the folder are still there. I didn't make any changes between the last time I know the folders were there (approx 2 weeks ago) and when I first noticed they were gone. I've tried ReclaiMe, it took almost 48 hours to create an image of the storage pool and said the image was corrupt. Trying R-Studio on both the storage pool and the physical drive found a few of the folders, but was unable to recover anything. Currently creating a disk image of the storage pool partition with TestDisk, but was hoping for any possible insight on what could have caused this.
Testdisk does not support recovering damaged storage places.

You can try to exclude certain reasons by checking SMART parameters for instance.
You can read out both drives completely to unmask unreadable sectors and recheck SMART parameters again.
You can only speculate on other failure reasons.

Please avoid undocumented proprietary technology like Microsoft Storage Places.
Even If you knew what caused the failure would not make Storage Places a safer technology.