RAID5 partition recovery - how important is disk order when recreating volume?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
hachi

RAID5 partition recovery - how important is disk order when recreating volume?

#1 Post by hachi »

My situation is this - 1 out of 3 drives crash in 3x2TB raid5, which reset cmos config on reboot and cause intel RST to trash the partition on remaining 2 drives. Now replaced with new drive and mobo, my goal is to recover the remaining data and rebuild it.

Following the method to delete and rebuild array, stripe size and volume name was found in bios settings, but no hope of knowing what order those 2 drives were initialised in. How important is this when recreating the volume? In the middle of deep scan with the current config which has taken half a day to get ~10%, very slow and no data found so far.

recuperation

Re: RAID5 partition recovery - how important is disk order when recreating volume?

#2 Post by recuperation »

hachi wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 16:31 How important is this when recreating the volume? In the middle of deep scan with the current config which has taken half a day to get ~10%, very slow and no data found so far.
The order is crucial. It's noted somewhere - either in some config files or on the disks themselves.

hachi

Re: RAID5 partition recovery - how important is disk order when recreating volume?

#3 Post by hachi »

recuperation wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 17:29
The order is crucial. It's noted somewhere - either in some config files or on the disks themselves.
so in my case it would be simple as swapping a>b>c to b>a>c in the raid menu, rebuild the volume and scan should find it right away? the third drive is new and should not contain data at all, any remnants of the array would reside on those first 2 drives. thanks

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

I can't tell - lack of experience, try it out yourself.
If in doubt, duplicate your drives.