Scan ONLY without any recovery

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
drakko

Scan ONLY without any recovery

#1 Post by drakko »

Would like to know if it's possible to only scan for files, without writing anything to any destination. Mainly because I would like to recover some single file from a big partition, I don't have enough free space to recover everything that can be recovered. I would like to know beforehand the filenames and/or sizes before recovering them.

recuperation

Re: Scan ONLY without any recovery

#2 Post by recuperation »

If Testdisk succeeds in opening a partition you can walk across the directories (key "p" {list files}) and select the file of interest for recovery. In Photorec you don't have file names.

drakko

#3 Post by drakko »

recuperation wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 01:13 If Testdisk succeeds in opening a partition you can walk across the directories (key "p" {list files}) and select the file of interest for recovery. In Photorec you don't have file names.
Ok done. You have to run .\testdisk_win.exe --> No Log --> Select media --> Select partition type --> Options (Expert mode: Yes) --> Ok --> Advanced --> Select partition - [Undelete] below --> wait a little bit for it to scan --> use up and down arrows or Page up/down keys until you found desired file (alphabetical order) --> press "a" to select everything, or just "c" to copy only selected file --> Please select destination where "your file" will be copied. (choose a different partition or drive, use the 2 dots .. to browse up or . curren dir) --> press "c" again to save on selected destination. The file will be saved there with all of its parent directories included as it were on original partition, not the file standalone (so it can be a little bit difficult to find). So be careful not to overwrite destination dir with original dir structure.

@recuperation I think you should add this post to wiki or guide or something.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

drakko,

if nobody is reading the manual and the online documentation, working on the documentation is simply a waste of time.

This page already existed before I started answering questions on cgsecurity.org:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Undelet ... h_TestDisk

:roll:

drakko

#5 Post by drakko »

recuperation wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 19:06 drakko,

if nobody is reading the manual and the online documentation, working on the documentation is simply a waste of time.

This page already existed before I started answering questions on cgsecurity.org:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Undelet ... h_TestDisk

:roll:
There are 5 screenshots, like 5 steps explained, nowhere near as thorough as I've explained.