Recover data from old HDD

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Intercore

Re: Recover data from old HDD

#11 Post by Intercore »

recuperation wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 21:48
(CrystalDiskInfo shows that everything's alright with it)
:roll:

Even though I don't understand every attribute I would recommend you duplicating the drive using ddrescue as described in the manual.
Thank you. I created the image using DDRescue in almost 11 hours, it completely finished and it seems that every bit of data was succesfully recovered. Now, how can I access these files from Windows? It's an .img file, I couldn't open it with Daemon Tools Lite when I tried. What can I do?

recuperation

#12 Post by recuperation »

You can pass that file as an argument to Testdisk.
If you used the log file feature you can check where the duplication process might have failed.

Intercore

#13 Post by Intercore »

recuperation wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 23:00 You can pass that file as an argument to Testdisk.
If you used the log file feature you can check where the duplication process might have failed.
If you have this log in mind, there it is:
# Mapfile. Created by GNU ddrescue version 1.23
# Command line: ddrescue -d -r 3 /dev/sdc /media/mint/30BEA0CBBEA08AC4/hddimage/drive.img /media/mint/30BEA0CBBEA08AC4/hddimage/drive.log
# Start time: 2021-01-09 09:50:18
# Current time: 2021-01-09 19:59:29
# Finished
# current_pos current_status current_pass
0x7470C00000 + 1
# pos size status
0x00000000 0x7470C06000 +

And how can I pass that file as an argument to TestDisk? What does that mean? Sorry, I'm not very familliar with these things...

recuperation

#14 Post by recuperation »

Why are you refering to the ddrescue log file now?
In your posting you were talking about the duplicate that you created as an image file.

Intercore

#15 Post by Intercore »

recuperation wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 13:47 Why are you refering to the ddrescue log file now?
In your posting you were talking about the duplicate that you created as an image file.
You were talking about log in your previous post so I copied info from DDRescue log here, maybe it was not what you were talking about?
For me the most important thing is to get my data from that HDD and how can I do that from this DDRescue image file?

recuperation

#16 Post by recuperation »

recuperation wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 23:00 You can pass that file as an argument to Testdisk.
My first sentence refers to the duplicate of your drive that you created as a file and not as a direct disc to disc copy.
My second sentence refers to the log file of your duplicating program ddrescue. This log file gives you information about the duplicating process - it looks perfect.
Testdisk needs something given to work upon. Testdisk cannot do anything with the log file of the imaging process - only with the file image itself.

Intercore

#17 Post by Intercore »

recuperation wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 14:01
My first sentence refers to the duplicate of your drive that you created as a file and not as a direct disc to disc copy.
My second sentence refers to the log file of your duplicating program ddrescue. This log file gives you information about the duplicating process - it looks perfect.
Testdisk needs something given to work upon. Testdisk cannot do anything with the log file of the imaging process - only with the file image itself.
Okay, so if to go back to my question, what does that mean that I should pass that duplicate as an argument to Testdisk? How to do that actually? Maybe it's possible to explain step-by-step?..

recuperation

#18 Post by recuperation »

manual
17.1.2 Device selection